Our Animal Care Services Department (ACS) achieved another record year in 2016 with saving animals.
The following year-end statistics show progress being made at the animal shelter and are the best numbers ever reported:
- Compared to five years ago in 2011, euthanasia for dogs and cats is down 70%, representing over 3850 fewer dogs and cats euthanized.
- Euthanasia saw another steep decline with 717 fewer dogs and cats euthanized in 2016 compared to 2015. This represents a reduction of 27% for dogs and 31% for cats.
- Over 1100 fewer cats and dogs were impounded at the shelter in 2016, a 15% reduction compared to 2015. Additionally, impounds of cats and dogs has been reduced by nearly 38% since 2011, just five years ago.
ACS achieved its best year thanks to all the hard work of staff, volunteers, partner groups, local rescues and the entire Long Beach community. I especially want to thank the SPCLA, Fix Long Beach, Hope for Paws, Long Beach Spay & Neuter, Stray Cat Alliance, Friends of Long Beach Animals, West Coast Animal Rescue, and Zazzy Cats Kitty Rescue for their advocacy and incredible support. These numbers are a result of their great work.
Some other notable improvements in 2016 include:
- The construction of a new outdoor play area for adoptable cats, made possible thanks to a generous donation by the Florence Jones Trust.
- A new mobile adoption vehicle was also made possible thanks to a very generous anonymous donation.
- A new medical suite was installed and constructed, thanks to the Friends of Long Beach Animals (FOLBA).
- Continued with the third year of our community cat program with the Stray Cat Alliance, saving the lives of hundreds of community cats.
- Offered bottle feeding kits for residents wanting to assist with kittens found in their community, thanks to donations from Helen Sanders Cat Paws.
With the help of our entire community we look forward to reaching more milestones in the future and continue to reduce pet overpopulation and find new homes for animals at the shelter. We have more announcements in the weeks ahead.